Inspired by the ‘all white wear’ rule that tennis players are obliged to adhere to at Wimbledon this week, The Lady’s Maid has picked out her favourite white pieces for summer. White is a very versatile colour to have in your wardrobe in summer and winter – from crisp white collared shirts to broderie anglaise summer tops. Like black, it’s a colour that never goes out of fashion and can be paired with almost any other colour. The only downside being that white shows up marks and stains more easily so The Lady’s Maid also recommends some products to care for your precious whites.Top Tips for Washing Whites
- Treat stained areas properly prior to washing – rinse stain in cold water first and then treat with an appropriate stain removal product eg. Vanish or Stain Devils.
- Wash as hot as the garment label allows using a powder detergent rather than a gel or liquid (powder detergents contain brightening agents)
- Keep your washing machine clean – run the machine on the hottest wash with a cup of white vinegar once a month.
- White tops will suffer more than colours from perspiration stains – so wash more frequently than colours to prevent permanent yellowing.
- Add a whitening powder to the wash for even brighter whites e.g. Vanish Gold Oxi-action for whites powder.